Jackfruit is a very useful vegan alternative to meat. It’s a versatile fruit that absorbs flavors well, making it ideal for savory dishes. You can buy it either in cans or vacuum packed. Here we have lightly coated the jackfruit with a little bit of delicious jerk spice and balanced the flavors with roasted pineapple, sweet potato wedges, corn on the cob and peppers. This sheet pan meal is a vibrant array of color and flavor. You can serve it straight from the tray, though our kids also like to load the pineapple, jerk jackfruit and peppers into tacos with fresh crispy lettuce, rice and black beans, eating the cobs and the wedges on the side. Reprinted with permission from The Plant-Based Family Cookbook by Claire Swift and Sarah Biagetti, Page Street Publishing Co. 2021. Photo credit: Claire Swift
Warming Jerk Jackfruit with Pineapple, Corn, Peppers and Sweet Potato [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Warming Jerk Jackfruit with Pineapple, Corn, Peppers and Sweet Potato [Vegan]
For the Jackfruit:
- 1 (13.5-oz [380-g]) can jackfruit pieces in salted water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4–1/2 tsp jerk blend spices (use 1/4 tsp for younger children)
- 9 oz (260 g) pineapple chunks
- 2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into wedges
- 2 bell peppers, deseeded, roughly chopped
- 4 ears corn on the cob, each cut in half
To Serve (Optional):
- Cooked rice and beans
How to Prepare Warming Jerk Jackfruit with Pineapple, Corn, Peppers and Sweet Potato [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C (180°C convection) and line a large roasting pan or baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain and pat dry the jackfruit with kitchen paper towels and slice the pieces in half. Add to a bowl with the extra-virgin olive oil and the jerk blend spices. Toss together until the jackfruit is covered. Spread the jackfruit out onto the baking sheet.
- Arrange the pineapple pieces, sweet potato wedges, bell pepper and corn on the cob evenly around the jackfruit. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and place the baking sheet in the center of the oven to bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn the sweet potato wedges and corn on the cob over. Return to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes until the corn on the cob turns golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve either as-is, divided among plates, or in tacos with fresh crispy lettuce, with rice and beans or wrapped in flatbreads.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.