Beluga lentils are packed full of nutrients. For one, they are rich in anthocyanins, a potent and powerful antioxidant. Anthocyanins offer protection from diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Lentils also have plenty of minerals, protein, and nine grams of dietary fiber in just ¼ cup! These guys will keep you feeling full for a long time.
Warm Root and Lentil Salad With Turmeric Mustard Dressing [Vegan]
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large turnip
- 1 beetroot
- 1 golden beet
- 1 large carrot
- 1 onion
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 5-6 small fingerling potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1½ cups beluga lentils
- herbs of your choice- I used parsley and chives
- 2 inch knob of turmeric
- juice of half lemon
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder or 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- salt and pepper
- Peel all of the root veggies. Use a mandoline to slice each veggie very thin.
- Once you have thing rounds of veggies, use a knife to cut into thing strips (see picture)
- Place all root veggies in a bowl. Add 2 Tablespoons olive and rosemary leaves and add to bowl along with salt and pepper, mix well.
- Preheat oven to 370F/190C. Add veggies and garlic on baking sheet and spread evenly. Roast for 25-30 min, or until veggies are cooked but still a bit crunchy. Let cool.
- Peel garlic and chop into small pieces.
- While veggies are roasting, add lentils to 4 cups water and boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 min, or until lentils are cooked through (do not overcook!) Drain lentils and let cool slightly.
- Chop herbs, garlic, and add to large bowl along with the lentils and root veggies.
- To make the dressing: peel turmeric and grate finely. Combine all ingredients and beat with fork until smooth.
- Add dressing to salad and enjoy!