Craving Chinese? These crisp-baked wontons stuffed with a sumptuous ginger-garlic veggie filling should do the trick! They're ridiculously tasty and considering they're low-fat and low-sodium, they're way healthier than any wontons you're going to find in a restaurant.
Veggie Wontons With Sweet and Sour Sauce [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Veggie Wontons With Sweet and Sour Sauce [Vegan]
For the Wontons:
- 5 Crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch ginger root, peeled and grated
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups bagged coleslaw mix
- 3 stalks bok choy, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 of 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped (save some tops for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 34 vegan wonton wrappers
- Cooking spray or oil
For the Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1 cup unsweetened crushed pineapple in juice
- 6 tablespoons agave nectar
- 5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2" fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
How to Prepare Veggie Wontons With Sweet and Sour Sauce [Vegan]
- To make the wonton filling, combine the mushrooms, ginger, garlic, and oil in a large skillet or wok.
- Sauté on low heat for about 8 minutes.
- Add the vegetables, raise the heat to medium, and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice vinegar and soy sauce. Remove the filling to a large bowl to cool.
- To make the sauce, combine everything except the soy sauce and cornstarch in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Combine the soy sauce and cornstarch in a separate bowl, making sure the cornstarch is mostly dissolved.
- Stir the mixture into the saucepan. Cook until thick and bubbly, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Coat a cookie sheet with spray oil. Fill the wontons as you like. Give each wonton a good spray with the oil.
- Bake for 5 minutes, flip them over and bake for another 5 minutes. Repeat with the rest of the filling and wrappers.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.