Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
This Vegan Vegetable Pottage has a rich, delicious and hearty broth thick enough to be a stew. Makes for a filling and healthy lunch on a chilly day.
Vegetable Pottage (Medieval Pottage) [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Vegetable Pottage (Medieval Pottage) [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 2 Leeks, sliced and cleaned
- 1 1/2 cups Green cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups Carrots
- 1 1/2 cups Turnips
- 1 1/2 cups Parsnips
- 1 1/2 cups Onion
- 1 cup Mushrooms sliced
- 2 liters Vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Parsley
Bouquet of Fresh Herbs:
- 1 sprig sage, thyme & rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole buckwheat
How to Prepare Vegetable Pottage (Medieval Pottage) [Vegan]
- In a large stewing pot over medium-heat, add carrots, parsnips, onion, turnips, and 1/4 cup of veggie broth and sweat the vegetables for 10-15 minutes.
- Then, add leeks, mushrooms, and cabbage and let that simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the rest of the veggie broth and season with bay leaf, bouquet of fresh herbs and parsley. Let simmer on low for 30 minutes with cover.
- Stir in rolled oats and buckwheat and continue simmering for another 20-30 minutes, or until grains are cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste