This Orange “Chicken” is crisp yet tender with an amazing orange flavor that mingles with the tamari, garlic and ginger. The brown sugar balances the red pepper flakes for a dish that’s perfectly sweet and spicy. Serving it over rice is delicious, but serving it over zucchini noodles and making a sauce out of the leftover marinade really makes it an extra-special dish that’s extra scrumptious. Enjoy!
Orange ‘Chicken’ With Zucchini Noodles [Vegan]
- 1 Tbs. olive or toasted sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1-inch fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ cup gluten-free, low-sodium tamari
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 3 Tbs. brown rice vinegar
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbs. arrowroot
- 2 tsp. water
- 2 packages vegan chicken, cut into cubes OR 1 block extra-firm tofu, pressed, drained and cut into cubes
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 large zucchinis, julienned into noodles
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the olive or sesame oil, garlic, scallions, ginger, tamari, orange juice, brown rice vinegar, lemon juice, brown sugar and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- In a separate mug or bowl, mix the arrowroot and water together until smooth. This is a slurry. Add the slurry to the marinade and mix well to incorporate.
- Add the cubes to the marinade and let sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Remove the cubes from the marinade and pat them dry. Reserve the marinade for the noodles.
- Arrange the cubes in the skillet in a single layer and cook until browned and crisp on all sides, about 8 minutes total. Transfer the “chicken” to a plate.
- Heat the olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook 1 minute until fragrant
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes until softened..
- Add the zucchini to the skillet and toss to coat in the seasoned oil.
- Add the reserved marinade to the skillet to create a sauce for the zucchini noodles. Toss to coat the zucchini in the sauce and cook until the sauce thickens and is warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Return the “chicken” to the skillet and toss with the zucchini noodles.
- Serve immediately.