Ohhh, the frosting… Truth be told, these vegan vanilla cupcakes are just a vehicle for the vegan vanilla frosting! Whipped coconut milk with vanilla and a hint of sweetness. You might *accidentally* forget about making the cupcakes all together and just pipe the frosting onto a spoon! The best part about these beauties is that no white flour or white sugar was used! Whole wheat pastry flour, apple sauce and maple syrup instead! These vegan vanilla cupcakes are a healthy sweet treat for any occasion! They would even make a great kid’s birthday treat, especially for those with food allergies! If you don’t have whole wheat pastry flour, you can use half white flour and half whole wheat flour instead. Enjoy these vegan vanilla cupcakes––they're absolutely delicious!
Vanilla Cupcakes With Vanilla Cream Frosting [Vegan]
For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup soy milk or plant-based milk of your choice
For the frosting:
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- sweetener of choice (I used 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup. You can use powdered sugar, agave or stevia instead)
- Flaked coconut for garnish (optional)
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake tin with cups and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, melted coconut oil, apple sauce, vanilla and soy milk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and use an electric mixer to combine. Do not over mix!
- Fill cupcake cups to 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool.
For the Frosting:
- Do not shake can of coconut milk! Open and scoop out the coconut cream. Transfer to a small bowl and place in the freezer to set. The watery part can be stored in the refrigerator and used later!
- Using an electric mixer, whip coconut cream with vanilla and sweetener.
- Frost cupcakes and enjoy