Do you need a bit more magic in your hum-drum life? Then these are the cupcakes for you. The moist chocolate buttermilk cupcakes are topped with a decadent buttercream frosting and decorated with all of the toppings to bring your childhood dreams to life. These cupcakes are great at a party and provide the perfect canvas to show off your creativity.
Unicorn Chocolate Cupcakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 2/3 cups self-raising flour (you can use gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup golden caster sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 4 2/5 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 320°F and line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk it until fully combined.
- Set this aside for 10 minutes to curdle. This creates a vegan "buttermilk".
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix everything well to combine.
- Add the coconut oil and vanilla to the "buttermilk" and whisk the mixture to combine.
- Fill each cupcake case 3/4 full with batter – make sure to tap the tins on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
- Pop the cakes into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and they are springy to the touch.
- Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack and allow to cool fully. Once cool, pop them into a sealed container to keep them fresh before frosting.
- If you're using one color frosting, place your buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a star tip nozzle. Pipe small rosettes, swirls, flowers to create a unicorn mane – just be creative.
- Place the decorations onto the cupcakes and decorate with magical sprinkles and edible glitter.