Time for chocolate! My Triple Chocolate Party Cupcakes have three textures of chocolate. Caky cupcakes with chocolate chips inside and all topped with a creamy frosting. Is there such a thing as too much chocolate? Nah!
Triple Chocolate Party Cupcakes [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup organic sugar or 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons Fair Trade cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon finely ground instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- OR you can substitute the above 8 ingredients with 2 cups vegan chocolate cake and baking mix
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Vegan substitute for 1 egg (I used a chia egg)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup Fair Trade chocolate chips
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup vegan butter
- 1/8 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons Fair Trade Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- Place cupcake liners in 10 cupcake tins.
- Mix the vegan egg substitute and set aside. Follow package directions or use any of your favorite substitute.
- In a large bowl add the nondairy milk, coconut oil, vegan egg substitute, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for about a minute or two until well mixed. Scraping down a couple of times.
- To the same bowl add the flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee, baking soda, cinnamon and salt (or the 2 cups of pre-prepared baking mix).
- Mix until well blended, scrapping down the sides.
- Evenly divide the batter between the 10 cupcake tins.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting.
- Cream the powdered sugar and vegan butter together.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Spread a big dollop of frosting on a cupcake and spread around. Tap the top with a clean knife to get the little peaks.
- Sprinkle with any sprinkles colors that you like.
- Freeze without the frosting.
- You may freeze them in any of the methods shown in my article Preparing Food for the Freezer.
- They defrost quickly so it really doesn’t take any planning. Just put them in the refrigerator to defrost over night or set out on a plate and it will take an hour or so to defrost.
- Make your frosting and frost.