This lasagna recipe is pure, filling, delicious comfort. It features three key elements; a tomato sauce, a cream sauce, and a pesto, with three different colors; red, white, and green. The tomatoes and vegetables in the sauce bring a perfect fresh taste to the recipe, and also lighten up the dish. Then, spoonfuls of thick, rich pesto filled with garlic and basil is swirled in, followed by dairy-free cheese sauce made from cashews and nutritional yeast. Together, this lasagna is an amazing dinnertime experience.
Tricolor Lasagna [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Lasagna:
- 12 lasagna sheets, gluten-free if needed
For the Sauce:
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 3 mushrooms
- 1 stick celery
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 14-ounce tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 17-ounce carton passata
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon yeast extract (marmite)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable stock powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Pesto:
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- A generous pinch salt and pepper
For the Creamy Sauce:
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 330°F. Firstly, prepare the pesto. Add the basil, pine nuts, and garlic into your blender and blend, allowing them to break down. Then add in the olive oil, lemon juice, yeast flakes, salt, and pepper. Blend all of the ingredients again, until the mixture has become smooth and creamy. When this is done, remove the pesto from the blender and scoop into a bowl, setting aside until later.
- Next, make the creamy sauce. Add the cashews, water, lemon juice, garlic, vegetable stock, yeast flakes, and pepper into a blender. Then, blend all of the ingredients together until smooth. When this is done, pour the cream into a jug and also set it aside until later.
- Now, prepare the tomato sauce. Add the onion, carrot, courgette, mushrooms, celery, and garlic into a food processor. Blitz them together until finely chopped. Then, add the olive oil into a large pan/wok and place onto a medium heat. Pour in the chopped vegetables, and fry for 3-4 minutes until golden. Then add in the chopped tomatoes, passata, vegetable stock, oregano, yeast extract, and salt, and pepper. Continue to cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- At this point, pour the creamy cashew mixture into another pan, and place onto a low-medium heat. Heat through alongside the tomato sauce for the remaining 5-6 minutes, stirring and allowing the sauce to thicken. Then, when the time is up, remove both of the sauces from the heat.
- Now, assemble the lasagna. Lay four of the lasagna sheets onto the base of a fairly large heatproof dish. Then pour half of the tomato sauce on top of it. Next, scoop about half of the pesto on top of that, a spoonful at a time. Drop the spoonfuls of pesto randomly on top of the sauce, then, using a knife swirl it into the tomato sauce. After this, drizzle about one third of the creamy sauce on top in a swirling pattern, using a spoon.
- Next, press another four lasagna sheets on top. Then, top with the remaining half of the tomato sauce – sparing about 2-3 tablespoons worth for the final layer. Then, swirl the remaining pesto on top – sparing about 1 tablespoon for the final layer. Finally, drizzle with another third of the creamy sauce.
- Then, press the final four lasagna sheets on top of that layer. Pour the remaining creamy sauce on top, spreading with a spoon to cover the lasagne sheets. Then, take the remaining tomato sauce and pesto, and swirl on top of the creamy sauce. When this is done, transfer the lasagne into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until heated through.
- When the lasagna has cooked, remove it from the oven, slice into portions, and serve.