Making a batch of this is a perfect excuse to stay in and save some money. You can make it as spicy as you want. After all, it’s your kitchen. This soup is easy to make with pantry ingredients. If you don’t have a poblano, you can use green chilies. You could also substitute reconstituted soy curls, crumbled tempeh, tofu cubes or chickpeas for the jackfruit if you prefer. Reprinted with permission from Gluten-Free Vegan Cooking in Your Instant Pot by Kathy Hester, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Kathy Hester
Tortilla Soup with Jackfruit [Vegan]
- 1 medium-size (150 g) onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped (or 1 tbsp [15 g] green chilies)
- 4 cups (944 ml) vegetable broth (or water with a vegan bouillon cube)
- 1 (28-oz [794-g]) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (10-oz [283-g]) jackfruit, drained and shredded by hand (or 1 [15-oz or 425-g] can chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- 3 tablespoons (50 g) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or sweetener of choice, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons (12 g) nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Gluten-free tortilla chips, slightly crushed
- 1/2 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped, then tossed with lime juice and chili powder
- Cashew cream or vegan sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
- Turn your Instant Pot to sauté. Dry or water sauté the onions until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and poblano, and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Turn sauté off.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, jackfruit, tomato paste, cumin, chili powder and sweetener. Turn the Instant Pot to manual/pressure cook and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally, or let it release for at least 10 minutes and manually release the rest of the way.
- Add the nutritional yeast, lime juice, salt and pepper. Top bowls of hot soup with crisp tortilla pieces, avocado, cashew cream and chopped cilantro (if using).
Make in a 3-quart or 6-quart (3-L or 6-L) Instant Pot. Double and make in your 8-quart (8-L) Instant Pot.