Transform tofu into deliciously crispy "fish" fritters with this easy-to-follow recipe! First, the cubes of tofu are given a generous splash of sesame oil and soy sauce, then they are coated in a mixture of spices, and finally wrapped in a sheet of nori (because nothing says fish like the flavor of seaweed)! After a dip in the chickpea-buckwheat batter, these little cubes simply need to be pan-fried for a few minutes and voila! Fish fritters. Serve with some vegan tartar sauce and go to town.
Tofu ‘Fish’ Fritters [Vegan]
For the Tofu:
- 1 14-ounce package of tofu
- 1 sheet of nori
- 1 cup spelt or wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil, for flavor (optional)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Oil, for frying
For the Batter:
- 2 tablespoons of buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoon chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (for color)
- 1 cup sparkling water or tonic
- Heat the oven to 355°F and put the sheet of nori on a baking sheet and bake until well toasted but not burned. You can also roast it in a very hot pan or griddle, without oil.
- Start tearing the nori with your hands, put the pieces in a mortar and crush until powdery.
- Press and drain the tofu well and dry it with a paper towel. Cut the tofu into small pieces with your hands ((they don't have to be perfectly uniform) and put it in the bowl of a food processor along with the nori. Pulse until a smooth cream is formed. Now add the soy sauce, mustard, ginger, garlic powder, paprika, pepper, salt, and sesame oil and pulse until combined.
- Now, mix the spelt flour with the baking powder. Gradually add the tofu mixture, stirring continuously. Mix until a compact and sticky dough forms.
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients for breading. Add the water slowly and continuously mixing with wire whisk until you get a thick mixture.
- Heat a generous amount of oil in a skillet.
- Take the small portions of tofu, dip into the batter mixture, and then put it in the hot oil. Fry by turning them occasionally until golden brown on all sides.
- Pick up the fried tofu balls with a slotted spoon and place them on paper towels to remove excess oil. Serve.