This coconut and mango salad is simple, and that’s the way it should be. However, if you want to jazz it up, you could add Chinese long beans or cherry tomatoes. Serve with grilled eggplant and white rice.
Toasted Coconut and Green Mango Salad [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 2 green mangoes
- 1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup peanuts, roasted
For the Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1/2 tablespoon tamari
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2–1 tablespoon sambal
- Juice of 2 small limes
- In a small jar whisk/shake together the tamarind paste, tamari, sesame oil, sambal, and lime juice. Set aside.
- Dry toast the coconut over a medium heat in a shallow pan, stirring frequently until the coconut starts to color brown and smell delicious. Be warned — as soon as it starts to brown you’ll have to remove the coconut from the pan straight away to prevent burning.
- Peel the mangoes and finely shred using the medium blade on a mandoline. In a large bowl combine the mango, toasted coconut, chopped coriander, and peanuts. Pour the dressing over the top and mix thoroughly through.
- Serve immediately.