The skillet corn cakes this chili sits atop, are absolutely delicious, but not at all necessary in order to enjoy this colorful masterpiece. If you're short on time, serve it a la carte, or with some bread or tortilla chips. Perfect food to warm a rainy day. As always, 100% vegan, gluten-free, and soy-free. Enjoy!
Three Bean Chili Over Skillet Corn Cakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 lb mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 cup sweet potato, cubed
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 Tbsp high heat oil (avocado, canola, peanut, etc)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tsp "Liquid Smoke" (optional-for smokey flavor)
- 1 large 28 oz can of chopped tomatoes (or 3-4 cups fresh tomatoes)
- 1 cup masa harina (corn flour with lime)
- 1 cup Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup polenta (coarse cornmeal)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1-1 1/2 cups water
- Start the chili in a large pot or deep skillet. Heat the oil to medium heat, add the chopped onion, celery, carrot and mushrooms and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the sweet potato, corn, and broccoli. Add the kidney and black beans. Process the drained chickpeas in a food processor (or mash by hand in a bowl) until they resemble crumbs. Add to pot as well.
- Add all spices, maple syrup, salt, Liquid Smoke, nutritional yeast and tomatoes. Add water if necessary. Bring to a gentle simmer and let cook undisturbed for 20 minutes until sweet potatoes are cooked through and nice chili consistency has been reached.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients for corn cakes, masa harina though baking powder. Add wet ingredients, maple syrup through water. Stir well and heat skillet to medium high heat. Add 1 Tbsp of oil and spoon batter onto pan, tilting pan to spread into a circle. When browning on bottom and bubbling on top, flip over and cook 30-45 more seconds. Repeat.
- Serve chili atop corn cakes, with a dallop of vegan sour cream if you like.
- Sweet Potato