Omnivore and picky eater approved. Need we say more? The ultimate comforting high protein dinner, that can be loaded with plenty of fresh toppings.
The Ultimate Chili [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon SALT
- 3 cups cooked beans - this recipe used a combo of kidney & chickpea
- 1 cup TVP
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes - Including the liquid
- 1/4 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
In a stockpot over medium heat, add oil and onions. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
Add cumin, salt, smoked paprika and chili, stirring continuously for 1 minute. This will allow dried spices to really come to life and be more flavourful.
Add beans, sugar, TVP diced tomatoes and 2 cups of broth (reserve the other 1/2 cup) and bring to a good simmer before lowering heat to med-low. Allow to cook, while stirring frequently for about 20 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine cornmeal, nutritional yeast and 1/2 cup of the broth you set aside. Whisk together until combined. Slowly add to chili and stir until well combined. This will thicken chili, while also adding flavour depth. Cook for another 10 minutes.
Stir in butter, lime and salt and pepper to taste.