Many of us can remember those weeknights during our childhood where sloppy joes were on the dinner menu. This recipe recreates them with sautéed tempeh and vegetables, covered in a lightly seasoned tomato sauce. Just like the original recipe, these sloppy joes are easy to make and most importantly, amazingly satisfying!
Tempeh Sloppy Joes [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Tempeh Sloppy Joes [Vegan]
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups tempeh, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 4 large pitted dates, simmered in water for several minutes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 15-ounce cans of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Tempeh Sloppy Joes [Vegan]
- Heat a large pot and sauté the onions for 5 minutes, stirring frequently and adding a splash of water when they start to stick to the pan.
- Add the bell pepper, celery, tempeh, garlic, and dried basil, and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring intermittently and adding just a splash of water when the ingredients start to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- While the vegetables and tempeh mixture is cooking, drain the dates from the water and place them in the blender along with the soy sauce, water, and apple cider vinegar. Blend until totally smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour the date mixture and the tomato sauce in with the vegetable and tempeh mixture and stir.
- Simmer on low, uncovered for 35-40 minutes, stirring frequently. The longer it cooks, the thicker it will become. You want the consistency to be nice and thick, not soupy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When you turn off the heat, add in the parsley and give it one more stir. To Serve:
- To serve, spread some lemon tahini dressing on a whole wheat or sprouted bun, add a generous amount of Sloppy Joe mixture and pile high with spinach and onions
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.