These tempeh meatballs are a great plant-based option for when you're craving something meaty. Tempeh is full of protein, which makes them great heart additions to so many different dishes. Try making a tempeh meatball sandwich or spaghetti and tempeh meatballs! You can also eat them with some veggies, on a salad, or even as hors d'oeuvres! They are flavored wonderfully with a myriad of spices, which makes them just as good alone as in a more complicated dish!
Tempeh Meatballs [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Tempeh Meatballs [Vegan]
- 1 lb. soy tempeh
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (oregano + marjoram + thyme + basil + rosemary + sage)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, optional
How to Prepare Tempeh Meatballs [Vegan]
- Break up the tempeh in crumbles. They don’t have to be too fine, just so that the block is broken up. Add to a pot along with the water, tamari, and olive oil. Mix it all together to try to coat the tempeh with the tamari and oil. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Every few minutes go in with a wooden spoon and break the tempeh up even more.
- Let the tempeh sit and cool. In the meantime, dice an onion into small pieces and dice and mince the garlic. Place in a pan and water or oil sauté until soft.
- In a small bowl, mix together the miso and tomato paste. Add it to the tempeh along with the onions and garlic, the Italian seasoning, salt, breadcrumbs, and parsley if using. Mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form balls by really packing the mixture together, rolling the mixture between your palms. I usually get 24 but it will depend on the size of your balls. Haha.
- Place the meatballs on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Let cool completely.
- At this point, you can store in the refrigerator and/or the freezer. When ready to serve, heat a small amount of high heat oil on a cast-iron skillet. If you don’t have one, a nonstick pan will do. Once the oil is hot, add the balls and roll them around coating the whole ball with oil. Cook for a few minutes until heated through.
- If you are making a big bowl o’ spaghetti and sauce, get it ready before the balls are ready and then serve as pictured. Or toast the bread or hero and pile the meatballs in. Enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.