This recipe is the ultimate plant-based tandoori masala. Sweet potato and tofu are combined with aromatic ginger, garlic, and chili in a creamy, spiced yogurt sauce that is punctuated with a squeeze of lime juice. Then, it's baked until fragrant and crisp and served with cardamom-scented basmati rice.
Tandoori Sweet Potato and Tofu Masala [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 10.5 ounces tofu
- 1/2 sweet potato
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 5 tablespoons soy yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tandoori masala spice mixture
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger
- 1 tablespoon chili powder or chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 cups smoked basmati rice
- 4 cardamom pods
- Prepare rice according to the instructions on the package. Add the cardamom pods to cook together with the rice — it creates an aromatic flavor.
- Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Chop tofu in small cubes. Chop sweet potato in small cubes, about half the size of the tofu cubes.
- Chop garlic and ginger as finely as possible. Squeeze the lime.
- Combine sweet potato cubes, tofu cubes, soy yogurt, spices, and lime juice in a baking tin. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Bake with closed lid for 20 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft. Serve with rice, lettuce, extra soy yogurt, and fresh coriander.