This unexpected combination will leave you wanting more! Sweet potato and millet patties are flavorful and added sunflower and chia seeds make them filling. With blackberry, basil, and red chili, the salsa is sweet, fresh, spicy, and the perfect topping for these patties!
Sweet Potato Millet Patties and Blackberry Salsa [Vegan, Gluten Free]
For the Salsa:
- 7 ounces fresh blackberries, or 10 1/2 ounces frozen
- 1 large handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 large handful fresh basil, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon dried chili
- 1/2 lime, juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Patties:
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup millet, cooked
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons coriander seed, crushed
- 1/2 lime, zest and juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Canola oil, for frying
To Make the Salsa:
- Chop the blackberries and mix with coriander and basil.
- Add red chili pepper and season with lime juice and olive oil.
To Make the Patties:
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes. Spread them on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Then transfer to a large bowl and mash with a fork.
- Mix the cooked millet with mashed sweet potatoes. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well. Using your hands, form four rounded patties.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add canola oil. Place the patties and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Serve topped with blackberry salsa.