Nothing beats a comforting soup, packed full of vegetables and flavor, on a chilly day. This is a weeknight dinner that the whole family will love. Adjust the amount of paprika you use depending on the level of spice you desire—and maybe even add a teaspoon or two of hot sauce. Serve with creamy mashed avocado and fresh dill to balance out the spice and take this soup to the next level! Reprinted with permission from Earthy Vegan Eats by Maria Gureeva, Page Street Publishing, Co. 2021. Photo credit: Maria Gureeva.
Sweet Potato and Jackfruit Coconut Soup [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 (14-oz [397-g]) cans jackfruit in water
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons (4 g) ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons (32 g) tomato paste
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 10 oz [283 g] each), chopped
- 2 cups (480 ml) vegetable stock (plus more if needed)
- 1 cup (240 ml) canned coconut milk
- 1 cup (180 g) canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup (91 g) broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Black pepper
- Mashed avocado
- Fresh dill
- Heat the olive oil in a large, nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, until soft and fragrant.
- Finely shred the jackfruit pieces using a fork until they have a pulled pork texture. Add the jackfruit to the saucepan along with the carrots, cumin and tomato paste. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, allowing the jackfruit to brown slightly and the carrots to soften.
- Add the sweet potatoes, vegetable stock, coconut milk, tomatoes and paprika. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato pieces are soft. Pou more vegetable stock if the soup starts to get too thick.
- Add the broccoli, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Allow to simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, until the broccoli is cooked through.
- Divide the soup between bowls. Serve with mashed avocado, dill and more pepper on top.