This tofu is super crispy with a flavorful tofu interior and coated in a perfect amount of sweet and spicy sauce that you will be addicted to, guaranteed! Pressing the tofu and then soaking it in vegetable stock allows it to soak up more flavor when cooked, but you can skip this step if you forget or do not have time. Be warned, the glaze is very thick!
Sweet Chili Tofu [Vegan]
For the Tofu:
- 1 package (12 ounces/350 g) extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1 cup vegan chicken-flavoured stock or vegetable stock
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika, divided
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup avocado oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 green onions (white and light green parts only), sliced
For the Sriracha Mayonnaise:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
For Sweet Chili Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
To Prepare the Tofu:
- Prepare the Tofu Press the tofu by placing it between 2 sheets of paper towel, then sandwich it between 2 plates. Place a heavy object such as a stack of books on top; let sit for 1 hour.
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes and gently press with a kitchen towel or paper towel to remove any remaining liquid.
- Place the tofu in a small, shallow bowl or plastic container, then pour the stock over it to cover. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
For the Sriracha Mayonnaise:
- Stir together the vegan mayonnaise and the Sriracha in a small bowl. Set aside.
To Prepare the Coating:
- Set out 3 shallow bowls.
- Place the almond milk in one bowl.
- In the second bowl, stir together the cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon paprika.
- In the third bowl, stir together the panko crumbs, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon paprika.
To Make the Sweet Chili Tofu:
- Heat the avocado oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the Thai chili sauce and rice wine vinegar.
- Stir together the cornstarch and water in a small glass until smooth.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce and cook on a low boil, stirring, until it is thickened and clear, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To prepare the tofu, place half of the tofu cubes in the seasoned cornstarch and toss to coat. Remove them from the cornstarch and place them in the almond milk, turning to coat. Finish with the panko coating, lightly pressing it in on all sides.
- Heat ¼ cup (60 mL) avocado oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Working in batches so as not to crowd the pan, cook the tofu until golden brown on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the tofu to a medium bowl. Repeat with the remaining tofu, adding more oil if needed. Once all the tofu is cooked, pour a small amount of the Sweet Chili Glaze over the tofu cubes and gently toss to coat using a pair of tongs. Add as much Sweet Chili Glaze as desired—you will likely not use it all.
- Arrange the tofu on a small platter, sprinkle with the sesame seeds, cilantro, and green onion, and serve immediately with the Sriracha Mayonnaise on the side.