Sweet, or salty? Why not both? Making your own pretzels is easier than you think — and with this simple recipe, you can make traditional whole wheat pretzels with a salty topping or listen to your sweet tooth and go for cinnamon sugar. Either way, they're delicious!
Sweet and Salty Whole Wheat Pretzels [Vegan]
For the Pretzels:
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon sweetener of choice
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/3 cups, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 1/3 cups, plus 2 tablespoons bread flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, at room temperature and cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
For the Baking Soda Bath:
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 5 cups water
For the Salted Pretzels:
- Coconut oil, for brushing
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
For the Sweet Pretzels:
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
To Make the Pretzels:
- In a stand mixer fitted with the hook attachment, gently whisk yeast, sweetener, and water. Let it rest for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk whole-wheat flour, bread flour, and salt. Add the butter and use your fingers to incorporate it into the flour mixture. Keep mixing until you have a coarse texture, the butter should be pea-sized.
- Add the flour mixture to the bowl of the stand mixer and mix on low speed until well combined. Change to medium-high speed and knead until the dough is elastic, smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rest in a warm place until it doubles in sizes, approximately 50-60 minutes. Line two baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Turn the dough into a lightly floured surface. Divide into 10 equal pieces. Roll out each piece into an 18-inch rope. With each rope make a “U”-shape, cross the ends of the rope over each other and press onto the front of the “U” in order to form the pretzel shape. Put the pretzel into the prepared baking sheets and let them rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the baking soda. Using a slotted spoon, gently drop the pretzels, three at a time, into the water. Boil for 1 minute, flip them over to boil for another minute. Remove them from the water using a slotted spoon and place on the baking sheets.
To Make the Salted Pretzels:
- Brush the surface of the pretzels with the coconut oil. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until dark golden brown.
To Make the Sweet Pretzels:
- After removing the pretzels from the boiling water, bake them for 25-30 minutes or until dark golden brown.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Brush the surface of each hot pretzels with the melted butter. Cover with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.