Juicy peaches and summer cherries make the perfect combination for a stone fruit pie. When your fruit isn't ideal for eating fresh, bake 'em and let their sweetness develop! This is the kind of pie that must be consumed with a chilly glass of almond milk.
Summer Stone Fruit Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2.5 to 3 pounds peaches, peeled, pitted, and roughly chopped
- 1 pound cherries, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup of brown sugar (depending on how sweet your peaches already are)
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour or cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 gluten-free pie crusts
- Extra sugar and cinnamon for the top of the crust, plus a little aquafaba (water from chickpea can) if you want
- Prepare the pie crusts according to package instructions. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Lightly grease your pie pan and roll out half of the crust. Gently place it in the pie pan and trim to fit.
- Using pie weights (or dry beans), blind bake the crust for 12-15 minutes. It should start to look a little golden on the edges. When it’s done, lower the oven temperature to 400°F.
- While the bottom crust is baking, prep the pie filling. Combine the peaches, cherries, tapioca flour, cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar.
- When the bottom crust is done blind baking, fill it up with your peach mix.
- Roll out the second half of the crust and use cookie cutters to slice out shapes. Add the shapes to the top of the filling, and re-roll the crust as needed.
- Brush the top of the crust with aquafaba. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over the crust
- Bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting.