An incredibly easy and versatile cake you can whip up using pantry staples and your favorite berries!
Summer Berry Cake [Vegan]
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mixed berries (I used blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9" cake pan with nonstick spray and line with a circle of parchment paper.
- Make the flax egg by combining the flax meal and water together in a bowl. Stir well and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, heat the coconut oil to melt. Then, whisk in the sugar, almond milk, vanilla extract, and flax egg.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well with an electric mixer or a spatula until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake completely. Meanwhile, make the icing by whisking together the powdered sugar, almond milk, and vanilla. Then, toast the almonds in a pan over the stove or in the oven for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Drizzle the cooled cake with the icing. Sprinkle toasted almonds on top while the icing is still fresh
Serve at room temperature & refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days