These are stuffed with a filling of cooked rice, caramelized onions, currants and parsley, cooked in a tomato, olive oil, lemon and water broth that is reminiscent of stuffed vine leaves, and dressed with pomegranate molasses, parsley and pistachios. They are really truly delicious. Unctuous, soft, sweet, salty, lemony and tart.
Stuffed Zucchini With Middle Eastern and Sicilian Flavors [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Stuffed Zucchini With Middle Eastern and Sicilian Flavors [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 6 small zucchini (I used the small, fat lebanese zucchini)
- 1 cup cooked rice (I used a mix of long grain and wild rice)
- 2 tablespoons currants soaked in a spoonful of balsamic vinegar
- 1 onion chopped and fried in oil until sweet and caramelised
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup tomato juice or puree
- juice of one lemon and the zest of half a lemon
- pomegranate molasses
- chopped pistachios
How to Prepare Stuffed Zucchini With Middle Eastern and Sicilian Flavors [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Mix the rice with the currants and caramelised onions
- Split the zucchini lengthwise and scoop out the centers with a teaspoon and arrange in a single layer in a baking dish with the hollowed out sides facing up.
- Fill with the rice mixture.
- Scatter the diced tomato across the top and sprinkle with salt.
- Mix the lemon juice, zest, tomato puree, olive oil and a cup of water and pour carefully into the baking dish. Do not pour on top of the rice mix.
- Drizzle with some extra olive oil.
- Bake covered for 50 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Remove from the oven and spoon the liquid over the rice filling.
- Bake uncovered for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, spoon the remaining liquid over the rice filling again.
- Allow to come to room temperature and scatter with parsley and chopped pistachios and drizzle some pomegranate molasses over the top.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.