This recipe is healthy and satiating, vibrant, and flavorful. And these Stuffed Peppers are perfect for when you need an easy weeknight dinner that you can whip together effortlessly.
Stuffed Peppers [Vegan]
- 6 bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- Pinch sea salt plus more for sprinkling
- Pinch pepper plus more for sprinkling
- 12 ounces Vegan ground beef (or 1.5 cups green/brown lentils)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup Vegan Mozzarella
- Fresh basil chopped, to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut the tops off the bell peppers and scoop out the core and inner seeds. Place the bell peppers into a rectangular baking dish (9 x 13-inch).
- In a saucepan combine the coconut oil, garlic, onion, tomato, a generous pinch of sea salt and pepper. Cook until softened and the onion turns translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the vegan ground beef (or lentils) and
- Italian seasoning and cook until browned. Pour in the rice and the tomato sauce. Stir to combine.
- Stuff the bell peppers with filling and top each with mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with more sea salt and pepper.
- Cover the baking dish with foil (or reusable cover) and cook for 40 minutes, or until the peppers are tender.
- Remove foil and cook for another 10 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.