Celebrate strawberries while they'e in season with these raw dessert bars. In this recipe, fresh strawberries and pistachios are tossed with maple syrup, set atop an energizing almond, date, and maca base, and then enveloped in velvety, dark chocolate mousse. After a few hours in the fridge, the chocolate becomes firm enough to bite, but still melts in your mouth.
Strawberry Pistachio Chocolate Mousse Bars [Vegan]
For the Base:
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 cup dates
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 2 tablespoons flaxmeal
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 3 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- A pinch of salt
- 6-8 fresh strawberries, hulls removed
For the Topping:
- 3 tablespoons vegan dark chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon stevia powder
To Make the Base:
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and process until a large clump forms. If it is not sticking together, add additional water, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Once the base has formed, press into a rectangular pan and then place in the refrigerator to harden.
To Make the Filling:
- Add the pistachios to a hot pan and gently roast them.
- Reduce the heat and then add the water and maple syrup with a pinch of salt.
- Allow the nuts to become candied in the liquid, over medium heat, by evaporating off the water until a sticky coating forms on the nuts.
- Once the nuts are candied, remove from the heat, pour onto a sheet of parchment paper on a baking tray and set in the refrigerator to harden.
To Make the Topping:
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, add the coconut cream to a medium size bowl and using an electric mixer, whip until stiff peaks form. Add in the cacao powder and stevia powder and whip until incorporated.
- Once the melted chocolate has cooled, gently fold into the whipped coconut cream.
- Using the electric mixer, continue to whip the coconut cream to finish incorporating the chocolate, and then place the mixture in the refrigerator to firm up.
- To assemble, spread the pistachios over the base. Slice off the top of each strawberry to create a flat surface and then slice each strawberry in half. Place the flat top portion down on top of the pistachios and do 4-5 rows of strawberries.
- Gently cover with the coconut cream topping. Serve.