Thai people migrated south from China approximately 4,000 years ago. Because of that, Thai cuisine is influenced by Chinese methods like stir-frying. Indian and Middle Eastern flavors have also played a part in Thai cuisine from foreign trade and the Spice Trade route (established during the late 1400s). Thai cuisine can be divided into 4 regions; Northern (Chiang Mai), North Eastern (Isaan), Central (Bangkok) and Southern. This dish is from the Central region.
Stir Fried Thai Basil With Tofu and Eggplant [Vegan]
2 - 4
Ingredients You Need for Stir Fried Thai Basil With Tofu and Eggplant [Vegan]
- 1/2 Tablespoon (7 ml) oil (1 Tablespoon or 14 ml if you don’t have a non-stick pan)
- 2 cups (290 g) firm tofu, rinsed, drained, and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- 1 Tablespoon (10 g) fresh red chili, minced (take out seeds if you don’t want it spicy)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (145 g) Japanese Eggplant, cut into 1-inch rounds and then cut into quarters
- 1 cup (150 g) Red Bell Pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup (25 g) Thai basil leaves Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons (10 g) Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) water
How to Prepare Stir Fried Thai Basil With Tofu and Eggplant [Vegan]
Make sauce by whisking all 4 sauce ingredients together. Set aside.
Heat oil on medium/high in a large non-stick skillet.
Add tofu and red chili and cook for 5 minutes.
Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
Add eggplant, red peppers and basil and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
Add sauce and stir to combine.
Cook for 2 more minutes, turn off heat and cover.
Covering the dish will allow the steam to make the eggplant a little softer.
After 3 or 4 minutes, take off the lid and serve.
Garnish with fresh Thai basil and serve with brown or jasmine rice.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.