This sticky vegan toffee is both delicious and vegan! This recipe is heavily inspired by one of my favorite cooks, food writers and role models, Nigella Lawson. She was one of the main reasons I fell in love with food and cooking. I treasure her recipe books and love to make vegan versions of her most famous recipes, one being this sticky toffee pudding.
Sticky Toffee Pudding [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Sticky Toffee Pudding [Vegan]
For the Sponge:
- 7 oz (200g) pitted dates. roughly chopped
- 7 fl oz (200ml) freshly boiled water 1tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 3 1/2 fl oz (100ml) soya milk 1tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 oz (75g) vegan butter. softened. plus extra for greasing
- 2 tablespoons black treacle
- 1 3/4oz (50g) dark muscovado sugar
- 7 oz (200g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- vegan custard or cream, to serve
For the Toffee Sauce:
- 5 1/2 oz (150g) vegan butter
- 10 1/2oz (300g) dark muscovado sugar
- 1 tablespoon black treacle
- 7 fl oz (220ml) vegan double (heavy) cream, at room temperature
How to Prepare Sticky Toffee Pudding [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 315°F (160°C) fan. Grease a 23cm (9 inch) square tin, or something similar, with butter.
- Put the chopped dates in a bowl and pour over the freshly boiled water. Add the bicarbonate of soda and mix. then leave them to soak for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour the soya milk into a jug and heat in the microwave for 1 minute to warm through (alternatively you can do this in a pan on the hob). Once warmed, mix in the apple cider vinegar and place to the side to curdle -this will take about 5 minutes.
- Put the butter and black treacle into the bowl of a stand mixer, if you have one - or into a large mixing bowl if you are using an electric hand whisk - and beat together until light in color and creamy. Add the muscovado sugar and beat again until fully combined. Add the curdled soya milk, flour and baking powder and mix together until fully combined. Finally, use a fork to crush the dates slightly in the water, then pour the dates and their soaking liquid into the batter and mix until evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 30-35 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center of the sponge comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make the toffee sauce. Put the butter. muscovado sugar and treacle into a medium saucepan and heat over a low heat until the butter has melted and all the ingredients are combined.
- Stir in the cream, turn up the heat and cook until it is bubbling and thickened, then take off the heat.
- Once the sponge is baked. remove from the oven and prick it all over with a skewer. Pour around one-quarter of the toffee sauce over the sponge to cover. then leave to stand for around 20 minutes. Pour over the remaining toffee sauce and serve with vegan custard or cream. Enjoy!
You have any leftover pudding, place it in a bowl in the microwave the next day - it tastes just as good reheated.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.