This spring onion tart is a thing of beauty. It starts with a buckwheat and amaranth crust, though if you're pressed for time, you can substitute for a pre-made crust. Next, it's topped with a deliciously creamy, cheesy tofu filling followed by a layer of sliced spring onions. You can add whatever spices you like here, but turmeric and paprika are highly recommended, as they're strong enough to bring flavor to the table, but subtle enough so that they do not overwhelm the other flavors at work.
Spring Onion Tart With Cheesy Tofu Cream [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups buckwheat flour
- Scant 1/2 cup amaranth flour
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2/4 ounces flax meal
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon water
- About 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
For the Filling:
- A bunch of spring onions, about 4-5
- 3.5 ounces tofu
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- Paprika, to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 1 tablespoons nutritional yeast
To Make the Crust:
- Mix together all the flour sifted with baking powder and salt. Create a well in the center of the flour blend and set aside. Mix the flax meal with 3 tablespoons of water and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the flax mixture in the well of the flour, then add olive oil start to knead. Add enough water to make a soft, but not sticky dough. Form a homogeneous dough and let rest in the refrigerator for half an hour.
To Make the Filling:
- Preheat oven to 355°F. Meanwhile, blend the tofu with non-dairy milk, mustard, turmeric, paprika, soy sauce, and nutritional yeast. Mix the flax meal with 3 tablespoons of water and let sit for 10 minutes, then add to the tofu cream. Taste and adjust according to taste.
- Wash and peel the spring onions, then cut them into round slices.Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1-inch. Line a baking pan or mould with the crust and puncture the base a few times with a fork.
- Pour the tofu cream over it, then add the sliced onions and a drizzle of olive oil. Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool on a wire rack, then slice and serve.