This springtime recipe incorporates the tastes that balance Kapha dosha in early spring – basil, sprouts, coriander and clove are all astringent and promote gentle cleansing. Beets are also wonderful detoxifiers, supporting elimination and purification of the blood. And all lentils are also wonderful protein source. Give this tasty salad a try!
Spring Beluga Lentil and Beet Salad With Coriander Vinaigrette [Vegan]
- 2 large red beets, boiled, peeled & cubed
- 1 1/2 cup dried Beluga (black) lentils, soaked & lightly cooked
- 1/2 cup capers
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 cup non dairy yogurt
- 1 cup fresh sprouts or micro greens
- 1 large Meyer lemon, zested & juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon pink or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- pinch clove powder
- cracked black pepper
- Soak the lentils overnight in a bowl. Drain off water and rinse well before cooking.
- First, in a large pot with lid, bring water to a boil and place the washed/trimmed beets in the pot. Cover with lid and allow to cook for on a low boil for 35-40 minutes, until beets are tender. Remove from water, take the skins off the beets and cut into cubes. Set aside until assembling salad.
- While the beets are cooking, bring water to a boil in a medium pot and cook the lentils with a pinch of salt. Cook for 12-15 minutes, checking texture of the lentils to make sure they’re still firm and not overcooked. Soggy lentils are a buzzkill to this salad, so be sure to remove from heat and drain before the skins are falling off. Soaking your lentils overnight will also decrease the actual boil time. Once done, remove from heat and drain water off.
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients together in a small jar. Cover with lid and give a good shake until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Store in jar until ready to use.
- To assemble, combine the cooked lentils, cubed beets, capers and basil in a bowl. Toss with vinaigrette and serve with a heart handful of micro greens and a dollop of yogurt. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.