This recipe is a single batch, but feel free to double it and freeze your burgers to have on hand for a quick meal. The mix in these spinach and tofu burgers addresses the veggie burger texture dilemma thanks to the addition of mushrooms and oats.
Spinach Tofu Burgers [Vegan]
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, drained and broken into small chunks
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, squeezed dry and chopped again
- 1 and 1/2 cups regular oats
- 1 small can (4-ounce) sliced mushrooms, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (I use tamari)
- 1 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Use your hands to squish everything together.
- Let stand for at least a half hour to allow the oats to absorb the liquid and soften.
- Use a ¼ cup measure to portion the mix. Form into patties. You should get between 8 and 10 from this recipe.
- To freeze, place the patties on a parchment lined tray then put them in the freezer. After they've frozen, wrap the individual patties in parchment and store them in a freezer bag until ready to bake.
- To bake, heat the oven to 350°F.
- Arrange the patties on a parchment lined sheet and bake for 20 minutes on each side. Increase the time if frozen.