Vegan Chipotle Black Eyed Peas Hummus is a sure fire way to start off any party. A fun spicy twist on classic hummus with black-eyed-peas in place of garbanzo beans! This healthy hummus packs in some spice and flavor with the addition of chipotle peppers, onion, and garlic. Smokey, creamy, and gluten free! Perfect option for a quick snack or appetizer.
Spicy Chipotle Black Eyed Peas Hummus [Vegan, Gluten Free]
- 1 2/3 cup cooked blacked eyed peas (or 15 ounce canned, organic, rinsed/drained)
- 1 green onion chipped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled (about 1 teaspoon minced)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers. See note for more options.
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Extra onion or red pepper flakes to garnish.
- First make sure your peas are rinsed and cooled. Peel and chop your veggies.
- Place your peas, onion, garlic, tahini, olive oil, and peppers in food processor or blender.
- Blend until combined.
- Add in your spices, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and vinegar. Blend again until creamy.
- Taste to see if hummus is seasoned to your liking. If not, add more spices/salt/pepper.
- Remove from food processor and place in serving bowl or container.
- Garnish with extra onion and red pepper flakes.
- If not serving right away, keep in sealed container in fridge for up to 7 days.
- Makes around 2 cups.
If too spicy, add more tahini, though it'll be thinner in texture. If you want to use real chipotle peppers, it is recommended that you add one pepper at time when blending, just so you can adjust spice accordingly.