A delicious, quick and easy to make cabbage stew with turmeric and lots of other spices. This makes for a perfect plant-based meal when paired with grains or a wonderful side dish for many other dishes.
Spicy Cabbage Turmeric Stew [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 large carrot
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 – 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon turmeric paste for golden milk
- 3 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup, divided
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Core the cabbage and slice it thinly. Slice the carrot rather finely as well. Chop the onion and the garlic finely.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large stewing pan. Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook shortly until translucent. Add the cabbage and the carrot and cook, stirring quite a few times in between, for about 5 minutes until it begins to get soft.
- In the meantime chop the tomato into fine cubes. Add the tomato to the cabbage stew together with the coriander, cumin, chili flakes, turmeric paste, tomato paste and 1 teaspoon of maple syrup. Stir well to coat the cabbage with the spices and let cook stirring for another 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the water and the salt, cover the pan, turn down the heat and simmer the stew for about 30-35 minutes or more until the cabbage is cooked to your liking, I prefer it rather soft but not mushy. Add the cider vinegar, stir well again and taste. If necessary add the remaining maple syrup, some black pepper, and a bit more salt.
- Serve immediately or reheat again later.