The color on these candy beets is just beautiful and so summery, it will make you smile just looking at it. The mix of the hearty and classic pizza bottom, topped with the fresh, crunchy veggies is the perfect combination for a meal that still has all the classic pizza flavors without being too heavy. Instead of any cheese on top, there is a much more flavorful pesto.
Spelt Pizza With Candy Beets [Vegan]
1 pan pizza or 3 small pizza
For the Pizza Dough:
- 2 cups and 3 tablespoons spelt flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 a package of dry yeast (or 1/4 of a cube of fresh yeast)
- 1/2 cup of lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Topping:
- Add the flour to a large bowl and mix in the salt. Dig a hole in the middle and add the yeast, then the water and olive oil.
- Thoroughly knead it into a smooth dough, either with your hands or with an electric mixer. Cover the bowl with a towel and let the dough sit at a warm place for about an hour. You could use the time to prepare the marinara and the other toppings if you don’t already have them on hand.
- Preheat the oven to 460°F.
- The dough should have significantly risen by now, if not give it some more time. Dust your working space generously with flour and transfer your dough on it. Knead it some more, then use a rolling pin to roll it thinly into the preferred size and shape.
- Add your marinara sauce and top with the beets. Then, drizzle with olive oil. Put it into the higher third of your oven an let it bake until golden, approximately 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Add the arugula and drizzle with some pesto for extra flavor.