A true Spanish delight, this soft nougat will be gone in the blink of an eye! It's deliciously soft and tender, with a marvelous taste of roasted almonds. One bite, and you'll be hooked for life!
Spanish Soft Nougat [Vegan]
- 2 1/2 cups whole raw almonds
- 2/3 cups whole cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons organic molasses
- 3 tablespoons organic light agave syrup
- Preheat oven to 390 ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the almonds evenly on the baking sheet so they are not overlapping and roast them for 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let the almonds cool for a couple minutes and then remove the skin.
- Measure out 2 cups of almonds. Add the roasted almonds and the rest of the ingredients (sugar, molasses, and agave) to the bowl of your food processor and get the food processor running until a crumbly paste forms. It should start to form a ball that easily crumbles when touched and looks like wet sand.
- Lightly grease the pan with sunflower oil or other neutral-flavored oil and using your fingers firmly press down the dough into the pan so that the crumbles mush together. Make sure the edges are well compacted and smooth out the surface with the back of a large wooden spoon or by tapping the top with your palms.
- Transfer to the refrigerator and let the nougat set and (slightly) harden for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Let the nougat soften at room temperature around 5 minutes before slicing into squares.
- Store covered in plastic wrap in the fridge. If you let it sit at room temperature for too long, it will release too much of the almonds natural oils.