In under 45 minutes you have a nutrition-packed and aromatic chickpea and sweet potato stew. Cold weather aside, this is great for any time of the year! Serve with some brown rice or a nice, crusty piece of bread.
Spanish Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced into crescents
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into tiny cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons harissa paste
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 3-ounces of baby spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-ounce slivered almonds, toasted
- Chopped parsley
- Brown rice, to serve with
- In a deep saucepan, heat olive oil up. Fry sliced onion and garlic on low heat till onion turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Add tiny diced sweet potato to the pan and stir to coat in olive oil.
- Add ground cumin and harissa paste to the pan, and stir/cook for a minute or two to toast the spices off. After 2 minutes, pour in can of crushed tomatoes into the pan, along with drained chickpeas and 1/2 cup of vegetable stock. Stir well.
- Add sugar and maple syrup to pan, stir well, and cover pan with a lid. Let simmer, on low to medium heat, for about 25 minutes, or until sweet potato has softened.
- During hat 25 minute simmering time, stir the stew every 10 minutes or so to prevent scorching at the bottom of the pan.
- Once sweet potato is softened, add baby spinach into the pan, cover with a lid for a minute to let spinach wilt, and then uncover and stir spinach in.
- Taste, and season appropriately with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a side of brown rice, and top stew with toasted slivered almonds and chopped parsley.