What could be better than a nice big bowl of spaghetti for dinner? A heaping bowl of spaghetti squash with a side of vegan meatballs, of course! This recipe will leave you fully satisfied, minus the bloat since it skips the grains and is entirely veggie-based. Cheesy meatballs are the perfect complement to the garlic flavor in the sauce and sweetness of the squash. Try it! Your taste buds will thank you.
Spaghetti Squash With Meatballs [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Squash:
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Meatballs:
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package Cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can white beans
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup vegan cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
For the Sauce:
- 1 large can of tomatoes, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place walnuts on a lined or sprayed baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. When finished, remove from oven and do not turn the oven off.
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the soft inside with a spoon. Lightly coat with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake face down for 30 minutes or until tender. Once cooked, set the oven to 400°F.
- In a medium-size pot, add minced garlic and cook until translucent. Add a can of crushed tomatoes and basil. Cook for 5 minutes to combine flavors.
- In a pan over medium heat, add minced garlic and a drizzle olive oil. Cook until translucent. Add the mushrooms, onions, Italian seasoning, and continue to cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Rinse and drain beans. Lightly smash beans with your hands leaving the majority of it mashed, with a few solid beans.
- In a large bowl, combine the panko, beans, walnuts, mushroom and onion mixture, red pepper, basil, salt, and pepper. Press the mixture into balls and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, add a drizzle of olive oil and cook each ball for 5-7 minutes, making sure to rotate in order to cook evenly.
- Remove spaghetti squash from the oven. Let cool, and shred the squash with a fork.
- Once shredded, add the squash back into the shell, top with red sauce, vegan cheeses, and meatballs. Bake for 5-7 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
- Serve hot.