What could be better than a nice big bowl of spaghetti for dinner? A heaping bowl of spaghetti squash with a side of vegan meatballs, of course! This recipe will leave you fully satisfied, minus the bloat since it skips the grains and is entirely veggie-based. Cheesy meatballs are the perfect complement to the garlic flavor in the sauce and sweetness of the squash. Try it! Your taste buds will thank you.
Spaghetti Squash With Meatballs [Vegan, Grain-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Spaghetti Squash With Meatballs [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Squash:
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Meatballs:
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package Cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can white beans
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup vegan cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
For the Sauce:
- 1 large can of tomatoes, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
How to Prepare Spaghetti Squash With Meatballs [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place walnuts on a lined or sprayed baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. When finished, remove from oven and do not turn the oven off.
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the soft inside with a spoon. Lightly coat with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake face down for 30 minutes or until tender. Once cooked, set the oven to 400°F.
- In a medium-size pot, add minced garlic and cook until translucent. Add a can of crushed tomatoes and basil. Cook for 5 minutes to combine flavors.
- In a pan over medium heat, add minced garlic and a drizzle olive oil. Cook until translucent. Add the mushrooms, onions, Italian seasoning, and continue to cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Rinse and drain beans. Lightly smash beans with your hands leaving the majority of it mashed, with a few solid beans.
- In a large bowl, combine the panko, beans, walnuts, mushroom and onion mixture, red pepper, basil, salt, and pepper. Press the mixture into balls and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, add a drizzle of olive oil and cook each ball for 5-7 minutes, making sure to rotate in order to cook evenly.
- Remove spaghetti squash from the oven. Let cool, and shred the squash with a fork.
- Once shredded, add the squash back into the shell, top with red sauce, vegan cheeses, and meatballs. Bake for 5-7 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
- Serve hot.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.