As far as comfort foods go, loaded sandwiches are among the best of the best. In this take on a Southern classic, shredded, meaty mushrooms are coated in barbecue sauce, and sandwiched between two crusty slices of bread with crunchy coleslaw. This pulled mushroom sandwich is a smoky, sweet, and creamy mess that will leave you giddy with joy.
Southern-Style Pulled Mushroom Sandwich [Vegan]
- One large onion, chopped finely
- 4 pounds mushrooms, chopped into matchstick form or, better yet, cut on the smallest slicer blade on the food processor so they look like shaved matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- A few dashes of hot sauce
- A few dashes of liquid smoke (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- BBQ sauce
- A crusty bun, or two slices of bread per person
- Preheat a pan to medium-high heat. Add oil, and sauté onions until they begin to brown, about 10-15 minutes. Working in small batches and adding oil to prevent sticking, sauté all the mushrooms until they have shrunk and reduced to about one-third the size, changing their color completely. They should be chewy and not at all spongy. Season them with spices, hot sauce, and liquid smoke, tasting and correcting seasonings as you go.
- Slice and toast the bread, or the bun halves. Taking one slice or the bottom bun half, ladle a generous helping of pulled mushrooms. Top with barbecue sauce and a generous helping of coleslaw. Finish with the second slice of bread or bun half. Repeat as needed, depending on how many people you're feeding. Serve immediately, with a lot of napkins to wipe all the juices.