This stuffing recipe has very classic flavors and the sourdough bread gives it a little twist. The mushrooms and celery provide that classic texture we all love, and the rosemary, thyme, sage, and parsley will make you feel at home!
Sourdough Bread Stuffing [Vegan]
- 2 pounds sourdough bread, cubed 1/2-inch size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cups mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 6 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Pepper, to taste
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spread cut sourdough bread cubes onto a baking tray, and toast in oven until they are dry and browned.
- When done, place the cubes in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a large pan, add olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add onions, celery, and salt and saute, about 2-3 minutes
- Add mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, and sage, saute for 5-7 minutes.
- Add broth, pepper, and add more salt, if needed
- Remove from heat and add the mixture to the bowl of bread cubes. Combine well. Make sure all of the liquid is absorbed into the bread
- Place mixture into a large baking dish, and sprinkle with fresh parsley
- Place in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes, until top is golden brown.