Mild and sweet, this paniyaram is loaded with the flavors of banana and cardamom powder. The sorghum in this soft bread is high in protein and calcium, and is conveniently gluten-free! While this interpretation of the Indian dish is sweet, paniyaram can also be made savory.
Sorghum Banana Paniyaram: Indian Steamed Bread [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3/4 cup sorghum
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 3/4 cup grated palm jaggery
- 1 medium sized banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Wash and soak sorghum in water overnight. After draining the water completely, blend in a mixer until a smooth paste, adding 2-3 tablespoons water. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add rice flour, baking powder, grated jaggery, cardamom powder, and mashed banana. Mix everything well with a spoon. Add water until the mixture reaches a pouring consistency, it should not be too thick or too watery. Keep mixture aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat a paniyaram pan and grease with oil. Pour a spoonful of prepared batter in all the cups of pan. Fry paniyaram evenly on both the sides by rotating the buns with a needle-like wooden stick. Cook on low-medium flame until it turns golden brown on both the sides. Serve hot.