No need for take-out! This elegant, yet simple, traditional Asian soup is light and flavorful and soothing to the soul. Shiitakes add great texture to compliment the delicate broth. This miso soup is one of our in-house favorites and can be eaten any time of day. Enjoy!
Soothing Miso Soup [Vegan]
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 8 cups water
- 1 block organic extra firm tofu (drained) cubed1inch pieces
- 1 large handful organic baby spinach, thin sliced
- 1 bunch scallion, thin slice (use white and green)
- 1 1/2 cups Shiitake mushroom. thin sliced
- 4 tbsp red miso paste
- Press tofu for at least 30 minutes to allow water to drain out.
- Slice baby spinach, scallion (white & green sections) and shiitake mushrooms. Then cube tofu into approx. 1 inch cubes.
- Add vegetable stock and water to a large pot and bring to a simmer. Then add tofu, spinach, scallions and shiitakes. Simmer 8-10 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat. Put miso paste in separate bowl and add one ladle of the hot (not boiling!) broth. Use a whisk to dissolve all paste. Then add mixture back into pot and stir thoroughly.
- Serve hot and garnish with sliced scallion.
Add salt only if needed.