There are some days when I get this weird craving for a really good burger. Like a super substantial, stick to your ribs, hearty bad-ass burger. Today was one of those days I guess. Now my main issue that I have with some veggie burgers is that they are all veg and some flour. Nothing really there. For me, I want something with some protein and some good fats and nutrients; my body needs these things. I've been playing around with some different combinations, but I keep coming back to good ol’ hemp seeds. They give the burgers a nice little chew and some heartiness.
Smoky Black Bean and Hemp Seed Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Smoky Black Bean and Hemp Seed Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2/3 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 3-4 tablespoon minced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 tablespoons diced parsley
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour (or any flour will do)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax meal
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- A dash of cayenne
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Smoky Black Bean and Hemp Seed Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Start of by mixing the ground flax meal and water in a small bowl. Set aside
- Place black beans in a food processor and pulse. You want some chunks here but a good mash is what we are looking for.
- Add black beans to a mixing bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients (see notes).
- Add in flax egg.
- Form into four big patties and place on a plate.
- Heat up a medium skillet and spray liberally with cooking spray. Place patties in pan and cook about 5 minutes each side. You want a nice crisp on the outside and also make sure that they are heated through.
- Serve with your favorite bun and add any toppings you like.
The ingredients will seems dry at first but keep mixing and really mash it together. It will firm up.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.