Skordalia is one of the most traditional dishes in all of Greece. It's often described as Greek garlic mashed potatoes, but traditional skordalia is much more than that! Creamy, "buttery" potato goodness with the pop of mashed raw garlic folded in – it’s indescribable, really. Skordalia is so simple to make with a just few everyday ingredients and remarkably delicious. If you haven’t already, this one is a must-try!
Skordalia: Greek Mashed Potatoes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Skordalia: Greek Mashed Potatoes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
How to Prepare Skordalia: Greek Mashed Potatoes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Peel and chop potato into cubes and boil in salted water (in addition to salt above). Boil for approximately 6-8 minutes until pieces are very tender.
- While the potatoes are boiling, mash the garlic and salt in a mortar and pestle until you get a smooth garlic paste. Set aside.
- Measure out all remaining ingredients and set aside. Get a hand mixer ready or a good sized fork if you like to unplug your kitchen whenever possible!
- As soon as potatoes are done, drain and transfer to bowl. Mash with a fork and fold in garlic paste. Allow to sit for a minute and then whip them together for a minute with your mixer or by hand with fork.
- Add the almond flour, mix for about 30 seconds and drizzle in your olive oil. Mix for one minute and add vinegar and lemon juice. Give it a final mix and you’re ready to enjoy! Serve with crusty bread, homemade pita chips, or other sides of your choosing.
It’s imperative not to over mix your skordalia when using a hand mixer. You’ll end up with something closer to glue so keep to the one minute to 30 second instructions above. Feel free to go old school and mash by hand – I often do this for a chunkier skordalia and it’s just as wonderful!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.