Throw out the packaged Mexican rice that’s filled with preservatives! You can now have a delicious, homemade Simple Mexican Rice that’s made with all natural ingredients! It’s quick and easy to prepare and makes the perfect side dish to Mexican night. With just the right amount of spiciness and ample Mexican flavors, this gluten-free, vegan, clean-eating, and guilt-free rice will be your new go-to!
Simple Mexican Rice [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 small yellow or white onion, diced
- 1 14.5 ounces can petite diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, diced (can sub green chilies if you want is spicier)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, add the olive oil. Then, add in the onion and bell pepper and sauté until the onions are translucent and the peppers have softened.
- Thereafter, stir in the garlic.
- Once the garlic becomes fragrant, add the tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Next, stir in the rice.
- Thereafter, pour in the broth and add the spices. Stir to combine and cover with a lid. Turn the heat down to low and cook the rice for about 20 minutes.
- When the 20 minutes are up, remove the skillet from the heat and let the rice sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Lastly, stir in the chopped cilantro or parsley and serve! Enjoy!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.