Throw out the packaged Mexican rice that’s filled with preservatives! You can now have a delicious, homemade Simple Mexican Rice that’s made with all-natural ingredients! It’s quick and easy to prepare and makes the perfect side dish for Mexican night. With just the right amount of spiciness and ample Mexican flavors, this gluten-free, vegan, clean-eating, and guilt-free rice will be your new go-to!
Simple Mexican Rice [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 small yellow or white onion, diced
- 1 14.5 ounces can petite diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, diced (can sub green chilies if you want it spicier)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Then, add in the onion and bell pepper and sauté until the onions are translucent and the peppers have softened.
- Thereafter, stir in the garlic.
- Once the garlic becomes fragrant, add the tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Next, stir in the rice.
- Thereafter, pour in the broth and add the spices. Stir to combine and cover with a lid. Turn the heat down to low and cook the rice for about 20 minutes.
- When the 20 minutes are up, remove the skillet from the heat and let the rice sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Lastly, stir in the chopped cilantro or parsley and serve! Enjoy!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.