Everything in this soup melded nicely together. This recipe keeps it mild, but you could really add any sort of herbs or spices you want. It does go well with toasted bread, but for lunch you can eat it over brown rice for a complete protein boost.
Simple Lentil Soup With Leeks and Yellow Carrots [Vegan]
- 3/4 cups dried green French lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup leeks, white and light green parts cleaned and sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups yellow carrots, diced
- 1 cup Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- Check lentils for stones and rinse in a strainer. Bring a small pot of water to a boil, add lentils, and reduce heat to simmer 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a stock pot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat and add leeks. Cook slowly, stirring, about 6 minutes until quite soft. Add garlic and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add carrots, potatoes, lentils and stock. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender, or a standing blender to puree about half of the soup. This gives the broth a nice thickness.
- Serve garnished with cilantro or parsley.