Seitan is one of the most versatile meat substitutes and this recipe makes it easy to make this staple at home. Made from protein-rich wheat gluten, this recipe is both tasty and nutritious. You can do just about anything with seitan from sandwiches to stir-fries.
Seitan Recipe With Chickpea Flour [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Seitan Recipe With Chickpea Flour [Vegan]
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
How to Prepare Seitan Recipe With Chickpea Flour [Vegan]
- In a large bowl, combine your vital wheat gluten, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, dried basil, and onion powder and then set them aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together your ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and 1 1/2 cups of hot water.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until the mixture has a dough-like consistency.
- Knead the dough for 2-3 minutes, adding more vital gluten wheat if dough is very sticky.
- Roll the dough in plastic wrap and tie a knot at each end. Leave 1 inch at both ends to allow the dough to expand.
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a large pot.
- Carefully place plastic-wrapped seitan in the boiling broth. Cover the pot, return the broth to a boil, and reduce the heat to low.
- Continue simmering your seitan until firm while turning it occasionally. This should take about 1 hour.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let your seitan cool for 15 minutes in broth.
- Cut off knots at either end and remove plastic wrapping. Slice seitan before serving.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 1804 | Total Carbs: 108 g | Total Fat: 9 g | Total Protein:294 g | Total Sodium: 2899 g | Total Sugar: 19 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.