This creamy stroganoff is made with meaty mushrooms and seitan. Serve it over your favorite pasta!
Seitan and Mushroom Stroganoff [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup of seitan
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 generous cup chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 3 1/2 tablespoons white wine
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 3/4-1 cup water
- Heat a cast iron skillet over a medium-low heat and add the olive oil. Add bay leaf and the red onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until the onion turns translucent.
- Cut the seitan into chunks and add to the pan. Brown the seitan for 3-4 minutes then reduce the heat to low.
- Make the cashew cream – drain and rinse the cashews. Add them to a blender with 3/4 cup of water. Blend on high until smooth, adding the other 1/4 cup of water if it needs thinning. Set aside.
- Crumble the vegetable stock cube into the seitan, add the garlic and the mushrooms. Cook for another 4 minutes until the mushrooms begin to soften.
- Add the white wine and oregano. Add the cashew cream and stir to combine. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Serve over pasta, rice or grain of your choice.