This is a great everyday bread that you can snack on or can be eaten with some butter and jam. Soft and with a beautiful crumb, this Vegan Seeded Challah bread is packed with seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, poppy and flax), which make it nutty and absolutely delicious.
Seeded Challah Bread [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons millet
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons whole flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons egg replacer powder whisked in 6 tablespoons of water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons molasses
For the Topping:
- 2 tablespoons Almond Milk
- 1 tablespoon Agave Nectar
- Pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Sunflower seeds (optional)
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients for the dough in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of the stand mixer. Mix and knead until a nice smooth dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to an lightly greased bowl, cover and set aside to rise for 2~3 hours. Alternatively, dough can be refrigerated overnight at this stage and then let it sit at room temperature for 1 hour before shaping.
- Divide the dough in quarters and roll each into a skinny log of about 18~20" long. Coil each log up like a snail and press the end onto the dough. Place the rolled logs onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Make sure that there is enough space between the coils to rise and bake.
- Alternately, dough can be made into a braid, but dividing the dough into 3 equal size pieces. Roll them out into skinny equal size logs and then braid them. Make sure to pinch the ends and tuck them under for a cleaner finish.
- Cover and set aside to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine almond milk and agave in a small bowl. Brush the coils generously with the almond milk mixture and sprinkle with additional seeds, if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the loaves are golden brown and have an internal temperature of 190°F. Remove from the oven and cool before slicing.
- Store leftovers, well wrapped, at room temperature, for several days. Freeze for longer storage.