These date caramel bars are 100% raw and vegan, they only contain natural sugars and without the pretzels, on top, the recipe is also gluten-free. The bars will give you lots of power and strength for your day with enough fiber, calcium, and iron in it.
Salted Caramel, Pretzel and Macadamia-Almond Bars [Vegan]
Nut Biscuit Layer:
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
- 2 tbsp agave or coconut syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (organic)
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes (or flour)
- 1 tablespoon nut butter (almond or peanut)
- Salt pinch
- 1 1/2 cup ground almonds
Salted Date Caramel:
- 2 cups medjool dates (pitted)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (organic)
- 1 cup almond drink
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or liquid)
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate (organic)
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/4 cup pretzels (gluten-free) or or almond flakes (for 100% raw)
- Assemble all the ingredients and prepare a square, loose-bottom 8 inches baking tray with greaseproof paper as well as your blender and or food processor.
- For the nut biscuit layer: place all the ingredients into the blender, except the coconut flakes (or coconut flour). Blend until the consistency becomes homogenous. After that add the coconut flakes and mix until fully incorporated and sticky.
- Press the nut mixture into the basement of the baking try on the paper. Make sure it becomes an even layer – the solid bar base. Place the tray into the freezer and start with the caramel layer.
- For the caramel layer: Clean the blender (or food processor). Put all the ingredients into and blend until the mixture is as smooth as possible.
- Remove the tray from the freezer and spread the caramel layer over it evenly. After that, put the tray back into the freezer for another 3-4 hours.
- Prepare the chocolate coating: Therefore melt the dark chocolate together with the coconut oil and the cacao powder in a bowl over boiling water (or in the microwave for a few seconds carefully).
- Finally, remove the tray from the freezer, cut the dessert into bars (with a knife dipped into warm water). Start drizzling the chocolate coating over the bars and put the pretzels (or almond flakes) right into the coating before it starts cooling down.
- Serve right away or keep the bars in the freezer for up to 2 months.