Date caramel is a great kind of vegan caramel. It takes only a few minutes to whip up, dip in chocolate, and top with flaky sea salt. A simple little treat. Feel free to keep these in your freezer and then defrost a few at a time for about 15 minutes before devouring them. Reprinted with permission from Vegan Chocolate Treats by Ciarra Siller, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Ciarra Siller
Salted Caramel Chocolate Truffles [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Salted Caramel Chocolate Truffles [Vegan]
For the Caramel:
- 2 cups (360 g) soft Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons (50 g) natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) coconut oil, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
For the Chocolate Coating:
- 1 cup (180 g) vegan chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons (10 g) coconut oil
- Flaky sea salt
How to Prepare Salted Caramel Chocolate Truffles [Vegan]
- Line an 8 x 4–inch (20 x 10–cm) loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving some overhang so you can easily remove it, and then chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- To make the caramel, place the chopped dates, peanut butter, coconut oil, and salt in a food processor or high-speed blender and blend on high for 1 minute. Stop and scrape the sides and then continue to blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Return the pan to the freezer.
- To make the coating, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt together the chocolate chips and coconut oil on 50 percent power for 1 minute. Stir until the chocolate is smooth.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and use the parchment paper handles to remove the caramel from the pan. Cut it into 12 evenly sized pieces. Use a fork to dip each caramel into the chocolate, let the excess chocolate drip back into the bowl and then place it on a piece of parchment paper to harden. Repeat until you have covered all the caramels.
- Return the caramels to the freezer until the chocolate is solid, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the flaky sea salt.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.